Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Both Hands

Today I got to help a man who, guessing by the bandaged stumps, had just lost both of his hands.

He was a pleasant, solid kind of older gentleman. His little plum of a wife, sitting on the bench, waved and smiled and pointed me out as someone who could help him. He gestured with a hook on a bandaged nub and told me what he needed, said that he could show me where it was. As we walked there,  a rocking, hitching kind of gait said he was getting used to a prosthetic foot.

I did my job cheerfully and told him if he thought of anything else, please ask.

As I was getting carts in the lot, the two of them drove by and waved at me, called out "thank you!" I called back, "No, you're welcome! Thank you!" They looked confused. I hope they knew how loved and important they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment