Monday, February 10, 2014

Bagging for the Scary Man

I like having a counter between me and people a lot.

Some people seem like they have "DANGEROUS-KEEP OFF" written all over them. This guy actually did. He had a "KEEP OFF- UNSOCIABLE VETERAN" decal on the shoulder of his jacket, and Vietnam War paraphenalia over the rest of it. His hair hung down long and stringy under his hat. His eyes were hard. He didn't talk, but his lips were moving.

My stupid heart was beating hard. I moved to the bagging area to do my job, but I was praying in my head, "God, help me love this guy right. Please, help me not be scared."

He got to the register to pay, and I heard what he was saying.

"Reunited and it feels so good. Reunited and it's understood..."

Thank You, God. Thank You for scary-looking people who sing along to elevator music. Thank You for making me not scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment